Diversity is a core value at fipli — part of the essential fabric of our firm. Through diversity, not only do we enhance our ability to provide clients with innovative thinking and insightful solutions, but we also create a vibrant and exciting workplace community.
Our firm endorses and enthusiastically supports the strong commitment to diversity expressed by the American Bar Association, the 2004 Association of Corporate Counsel's Call to Action, the BellSouth Corporation's Diversity in the Workplace: A Statement of Principle, and the many other regional and national initiatives designed to embrace diversity in our profession.
A Diverse Workforce
While fipli has a strong record of recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce, we continually strive to improve that record. Moreover, we firmly believe that commitment to the principles of diversity involves more than reports on statistical demographics or details about the number of recruiting trips made. The firm's commitment is exemplified by our ongoing efforts to continually improve diversity in every aspect of our workplace. Our commitment to diversity is not only measured by how many diverse professionals we employ but also by the encouragement and support we give these professionals to do great work and achieve individual success both inside the firm and in our community.
Whether our attorneys are persons of color, women, LGBTQ or persons with disabilities and whether they represent geographic, ethnic or religious diversity, we seek and are committed to their full participation and advancement in the legal profession. Because of that commitment we proudly acknowledge many of our diverse professionals who are involved in every aspect of firm management, holding positions as practice chairs, managing directors of our offices, and members of the firm’s Executive Committee. We are proud that our diverse alumnae have risen to positions of prominence within our legal community, including serving on the Washington State Superior Court and Washington State Supreme Court.
The firm also expresses its encouragement and support of our diverse workforce in the programs and benefits we offer our employees. We are a family-friendly law firm and we believe in maintaining a healthy balance between our professional and personal lives. To help attorneys and staff achieve this balance, we offer flexible work arrangements that include part-time employment, job share, and for attorneys, telecommuting. We strive to identify and put into practice additional ways to encourage full participation in the legal profession by working parents. And our commitment extends to both traditional and non-traditional family units. For example, benefits available to domestic partners of firm employees include health insurance, COBRA, dental, vision, family medical leave, bereavement leave and supplemental life insurance.
Public Service in Support of Diversity-Related Organizations
Reflecting fipli commitment to diversity, our attorneys and staff hold leadership positions or are otherwise actively involved in a variety of diversity-related organizations, including:
- American Women in Radio and Television
- Japan Business Association of Seattle
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Legal Voice
- Loren Miller Bar Association
- Minority Media and Telecommunications Council
- Nichibei Women's Network
- Oregon Minority Lawyers Association
- Oregon Women Lawyers
- Oregon Gay and Lesbian Law Association
- Vietnamese American Bar Association
fipli has sponsored many diversity-related events, including:
- Asian Bar Association of Washington Student Scholarship Foundation's Annual Banquet
- King County Bar Association Goldmark Awards Luncheon
- King County Bar Foundation Breakfast with Champions
- Loren Miller Bar Association Philip L. Burton Memorial Scholarship Dinner
- Mother Attorneys Mentoring Association of Seattle Annual Banquet
- National Association for Women Judges Annual Conference
- National Indian Business Association Annual Dinner
- Northwest Women's Law Center Anniversary Gala Dinner
- QLaw: The GLBT Bar Association of Washington Annual Banquet
- University of Washington School of Law and King County Bar Association Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Luncheon
- Vietnamese American Bar Association Banquet
- Washington Minority Association Statewide Diversity Conference
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
fipli is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We believe that providing equal opportunities for all employees is both a moral responsibility and good business practice. In addition, each employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Consequently, our firm does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, political ideology, genetic information, familial relationships, or status in any other legally protected group.
This policy applies to all personnel actions, including recruitment, hiring, training, transfer, promotion and demotion, compensation and benefits, evaluation, discipline and termination.
We expect every employee to embrace and apply these equal-treatment principles to one another and to clients, vendors and everyone that we interact with at the firm.